We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Birthdays only come around once a year. There are certain people, like our big sisters, whose birthdays we not only don’t want to miss but we want to make sure we’re involved in the celebration—even if we don’t live close by or are unable to travel. Technology makes it easy to send our best wishes to the person on the couch sitting next to us or to a loved one across the country. Here’s how you can say “Happy Birthday Big Sister” in a way she’ll always remember.
Good Ways to Say Happy Birthday Big Sister
Simply saying “Happy Birthday Big Sister” may be enough if you’re short on time and words, but we recommend digging deeper and thinking about what makes your sister so special and tailoring your message around the parts of her you love so much.
Here are some things to think about as you’re crafting your happy birthday message:
- What are some great childhood memories you have with her?
- Does she have a hobby or interest that makes her stand out?
- Is she the best at something?
- Does she have a favorite picture of the two of you?
- Do you have a nickname for her—that she likes?
- Is she sentimental or does that make her uncomfortable?
Once you’ve got a good baseline for the direction of your happy birthday big sister message, you’ll want to determine the medium for your message.
Recommended Read: 37 Unique Birthday Gifts for Her
This is our favorite, for obvious reasons. Anything said has extra meaning if it’s said face to face. We know this isn’t always possible and sometimes isn’t comfortable, especially if it’s in front of other people. If you’re able to say happy birthday to your sis in person, seize the moment. No matter how many presents she gets, chances are your heartfelt words will be her favorite gift of the day.
If there are many people around and you’re both extroverts, say it in a speech. If one or both of you are on the shier side, steal her away for a few minutes to tell her what’s in your heart on her special day. She may let the words sink in if she knows all eyes aren’t on her and her reaction.
Recommended Read: 106 Best Happy Birthday Wishes for Sister with Images
Yes, we live in the digital age and, yes, this is a perfectly acceptable way to say Happy Birthday Big Sister—with one caveat: it has to be acceptable to her. If you’ve heard her complain about the coldness of emails and texts, don’t do it. Remember, this is her day, so it’s about what she wants and not what’s easiest for you.
On the Phone
Yes! Phones still make calls. It’s another great touch to say Happy Birthday Big Sister over FaceTime or Skype so you can see each other’s faces. You’ll get to see what she’s doing on her big day and, for the length of your call, it’s like you’re there with her.
This may seem a little old fashioned to some of you, but there’s a reason so many greeting cards are sold every year. They make people feel special, and the recipient can save it forever. They’re great ways to look back on past birthdays with a smile and she’ll be able to relive the good feelings for many years to come.
Check out the birthday card section of your local grocery or drug store; you’re bound to find one that’s just right for your big sis. There are stores in the mall where you can find unique and one-of-a-kind cards for that impossible to shop for sibling.
What Can You Write on a Big Sister’s Birthday Card?
Ok, so you’ve picked out the perfect card for your sister. Yes, it probably has a pre-printed sentiment on it, but you want to add your own special touch. What to say? We’re here to help! Consider some of these messages to say happy birthday big sister.
5 Sentimental Messages
Birthdays are as good a time as any to dig deep and find your heart’s message for your big sister, like these:
- You are a good person, my best friend, and an amazing sister. The world is a better place because you are in it. Happy birthday to my dearest sister who always brings joy and laughter into my life
- All of my favorite childhood memories have one thing in common: you. You made my childhood all the better, but it’s my future I most look forward to sharing with you.
- Sister, you are always my rock in life. You have an inner strength that I admire so much, and I hope that you realize how much I love, cherish and respect you. Happy birthday!
- Happy birthday to my amazing sis. You have a way of brightening everyone’s world with your warm smile & beautiful soul. Have a wonderful day!
4 Fun Messages
Maybe your sister isn’t the kind to dive into a sappy message. Try these on for size to say happy birthday big sister:
- Sis, you’re just like a piece of chocolate: sweet, decadent, addictive, and you totally bring up my mood when I am grumpy! Thank you for always adding sweetness and love to my life.
- Having a sister is like being blessed with two of everything. Two closets, two sets of makeup, and two hearts that are always connected. Thanks for always sharing your things with me even when you didn’t want to.
- Happy birthday to my amazing sister! It’s been so much fun growing up with my best friend by my side. I hope this year brings you all the joy you deserve.
- Happy birthday, sis! To the coolest person I know, kick back, relax and soak up some fun with all your party people!
4 Positive Messages
Sometimes it’s perfect to just give your sister a great big shot of positivity on her big day. Try these upbeat happy birthday big sister messages:
- Happy birthday to my amazing sister! I hope this year brings you all the joy you deserve. Enjoy your special day!
- Happy birthday to my amazing sister. Wishing you a birthday full of joy and happiness. Enjoy your special day!
- Happy birthday to my fabulous sister! Wishing you a sensational birthday filled with all the beautiful things in life.
- Happy birthday! Wishing you a beautiful day and a lovely year, my dear sister. Enjoy your birthday. I love you!
What Are Some Funny Birthday Wishes?
Some most cherished cards are the funny ones! Birthdays are fun so funny messages just add to the joy of the day. If you and your sister share a sense of humor or she always looks forward to you cracking her up, her birthday is a great time to unleash that wit of yours by saying happy birthday big sister in the funniest way possible.
It’s important to not get a laugh at her expense—apart from the innocuous “you’re older than I am” jokes. Don’t get personal and take digs at her—that’s not funny. Include her in the joke so when she laughs it feels personal—in a good way.
Here are some funny ways to say, “happy birthday big sister”.
Add On – Start Serious, Go Funny
This comes after your sentimental message to lighten the mood or after the card’s pre-printed happy birthday message:
- From one your favorite bad influence
- I call dibs on the presents you don’t like!
- You get to be the center of attention today! Tomorrow it’s back to me, naturally.
- Sorry, there’s no money in here. Again.
Sometimes the whole happy birthday big sister message being funny is the best way to go. Consider these funny well wishes for your fun-loving sister:
- May your birthday remind you that this is probably a good time to stop looking in the mirror.
- Dear sister, please accept my congratulations for reaching the 15th anniversary of your 20th birthday.
- Dear sister, you are so sweet, lovely, and annoying. Wait, don’t be angry! I was just trying to make my message funny 🙂 Happy Birthday dear sister!
- Dear sister, you have been both a joy and a pain in my life, though I think perhaps a greater joy. You know what I’m saying. Happy Birthday!
A Big Sister’s Love Never Ends
Whatever message you decide on, put your personal touches on it. Include a specific memory, joke or experience both of you are part of. A personalized message always has more impact on the recipient. And remember, even if things are strained between you, a big sister’s love is forever.
Don’t stress about the message being perfect.
You know what she’ll think is perfect?
That you remembered her on her special day and went out of your way to wish her well. Sometimes we spend so much time on trying to get it “right” that we miss the joy of the moment. This is your big sister, she just wants to see or hear from you.
Enjoy your time together. Whether it’s on the phone, FaceTime, text message, or in-person—make it count. Chances are, you get far less time with her than you’d like, so make big days like birthdays count—and with the right happy birthday big sister message, you’ll make it a birthday to remember.