Investing in a sewing machine is a big decision. You’ll have to ensure that you are getting the best equipment. But how are you going to do this? The best way is to examine each sewing machine carefully. Spend some time in doing your homework in order to get a suitable sewing machine for all your needs. There are different brands and models that are available in the market right now. You can choose from the simple ones who can do basic sewing or the computerized ones which can do a lot of things. What are you going to do with the sewing machine? Do you want a sewing machine for beginners or a sewing machine that uses the latest sewing technology?
We have evaluated the best sewing machines for their performance and usability in order to give you the perfect model.
Quick Overview Best Sewing Machine
Smart Sewer™ Automated Hand Stitcher
Powered by AAA batteries, Stitch length is 1mm, thickness is 2mm
Singer 4411 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
With Metal Frame and Stainless Steel Bedplate, 11 Built-In Stitches
Singer 8763 Curvy Sewing Machine
Uses SwiftSmart threading, Drop & Sew bobbin, 30 built-in stitches
Brother CS6000i Sewing Machine
Includes Quilting Table and Hard Cover, 60 Built-In Stitches
Brother SE400 Sewing Machine
67 Built-in Stitches, 70 Built-in Designs and 5 Lettering Fonts
SINGER 9960 Sewing Machine
With Bright Two-Digit LED Screen, Free Arm, 30 Built-In Stitches
Janome HD1000 Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine
With LCD screen & touchpad, 167 built-in stitches, stylish, powerful
Janome New Home Portable Sewing Machine
Includes cord presser foot, 20 sewing programs, 5 years warranty
Buy on Etsy
Sewing Machine Janome 920
With free arm, auto needle threader, 25 built-in stitches
Buy on Etsy
Janome DC2012 Sewing Machine
Uses SFS (Superior Feed System), 110-volt machine, 50 built-in stitches
Brother CS5055PRW Electric Sewing Machine
With One-step bobbin replacement, 50 built-in stitches
Sewing Machine Reviews
1. Smart Sewer™ Automated Hand Stitcher
With the smart sewer, sewing can be done easily at home. It is portable, making it easy for you to carry wherever you go. Just place it in your bag. It is very convenient and easy to use. Get one now and enjoy free worldwide shipping!
- Only weighs 250g.
- Includes a needle, 2 rolls of thread, a manual, and a thread guide.
- Can let you create your own clothes or mend your clothes.
- Best for DIY art patches.
- Can be used on any type of fabrics.
2. Singer 4411 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
The Singer 4411 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine is a high-speed machine that can get all your sewing jobs done quickly. It is a simple machine that is very easy to use. You won’t have any problems when it comes to threading and bobbin as well as switching the presser foot and changing the needle. This sewing machine is perfect for beginners who will be doing basic sewing. One of the best features of this machine is its stainless steel bedplate and metal frame.
- Gives you high-quality stitches even in several layers of fabric.
- Your fabric will glide smoothly to give you even stitches.
- It provides you professional and extra high-speed results.
- You can easily set-up the buttonhole.
- It can sew any type of material.
- The free arm feature lets you sew collars, cuffs, and hems easily.
- For durable stitches, you can sew in reverse.
- It has easy-to-turn dials that can let you adjust the length and style of your stitches.
- It’s a bit difficult to turn the needle position.
3. Singer 8763 Curvy Sewing Machine
No worries about threading since you can do it easily in Singer 8763 Curvy Sewing Machine. It can sew effectively even in several layers of fabric. This sewing machine has an easy to use interface which can let you do your job quickly. Overall, it is an excellent machine however it is not recommended if you frequently change different types of fabric since the tension takes some time to adjust.
Since it is computerized then you can do everything easily. It uses SwiftSmart threading system which quickly threads the needle. It will automatically adjust the length and width of your stitches to provide you the correct settings. With just a touch of a button, buttonholes are done.
- Produces the best quality even when stitching in many layers.
- Threading can be done easily as well as the bobbin.
- You won’t have any problem in creating a buttonhole.
- Changing the presser foot can be done quickly.
- There are 30 varieties of stitches including five stretch stitches.
- The extra-high presser foot lifter is perfect for quilting and sewing thicker fabrics.
- You can use the foot control in adjusting the speed.
- It takes some time to adjust the tension for different fabrics.
4. Brother CS6000i Computerized Sewing Machine
Brother CS6000i is a user-friendly computerized sewing machine that is rich in several features. It is very affordable and you can sew any projects such as quilting. There are 60 stitch patterns to choose from which includes decorative stitches. Threading and winding bobbin is done automatically. A free arm is included for stitching sleeves and cuffs easily. An instruction manual and a quick start guide are included. The stop/start button can be used if foot control is not included.
- With the LCD display, you can select your desired stitch with just a touch of a button.
- There are 7 kinds of buttonholes that you can choose.
- It comes with 9 presser feet including monogramming, overcasting and others.
5. Brother SE400 Computerized Sewing & Embroidery Machine
Brother SE400 is not only a computerized sewing machine but also an embroidery machine. Aside from accomplishing all your basic sewing needs, you can also use the 4-inch square embroidery attachment. This machine gives you a high-end feel without ruining your budget. The LCD display touch screen has a backlit which makes it easy for you to select. Your fabric will glide smoothly as you sew. An instruction manual is included upon purchase.
- There are 70 embroidery designs that are available.
- It has a USB connection which allows you to download more designs.
- For your regular sewing, you can choose from the 67 variations.
- With just one touch, it will automatically thread the needle.
- The workspace is well lighted so you don’t need any additional lights.
6. SINGER 9960 Computerized Portable Sewing Machine
SINGER 9960 Computerized Portable Sewing Machine is easy to learn. It is an instinctive machine that has a readable interface. There are two buttons for selecting the stitches. It has a needle threader that is very easy and quick to use. You can switch the presser foot without too much effort. It has a user-friendly interface. The best thing about this machine is that it will give you a warning in case something goes wrong.
- Produces the best stitches on different fabrics and multiple layers.
- Winding the bobbin and threading can be done automatically.
- The start/stop button can be used instead of pushing the pedal.
- It requires you to do several adjustments on the tension for the buttonhole.
- Pedals may slide when placed on a bare floor.
7. Janome HD1000 Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine
Janome HD1000 Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine is a powerful and stylish sewing machine that can cater to all your sewing needs. It has 167 variations of stitches which include 5 buttonholes and alphabet. You can accomplish any sewing tasks since it has a lot of easy-to-use features. Take advantage of the different sewing applications such as automatic thread tension adjustment, memory capability, and others. It comes with a hardcover. Other features include the extra high presser foot lift and easy reverse button.
- The LCD screen with touchpad has a backlit which is very helpful for easy navigation.
- It includes a built-in needle threader and memorized needle up/down.
- The snap-on presser feet is very convenient.
- The speed control slider can be used for easily adjusting the speed.
8. Janome New Home Portable Sewing Machine
Janome New Home Portable Sewing Machine is very sturdy and is suitable for beginners as well as sewing hobbyists. It is very easy to use and there is a wide selection of stitches to choose from. There are various accessories to make your sewing fun and effective.
- There are 20 sewing applications that you can use including one-step buttonhole.
- It also includes several feet such as cord presser foot and others.
- It has an automatic needle threader.
- Snap-on feet and a free arm are also included.
9. Sewing Machine Janome 920
Sewing Machine Janome 920 is an affordable machine for all your basic sewing needs. It is a lightweight compact sewing machine that is perfect for beginners. The instruction manual can help in accomplishing your tasks. The easy needle threader, one step buttonholer, drop-in bobbin can make your sewing easy, convenient and fun. An instruction manual and a 25-year limited warranty are also included. In case there are any problems, you can call phone support free of charge.
- It is a versatile sewing machine that you can use for quilting, altering, crafting and even creating home decors.
- The free arm allows you to sew hems and sleeves.
- It has an easy stitch selector, threading system, and bobbin winding.
10. Janome DC2012 Decor Computerized Sewing Machine
If you are looking for a modern high-end machine then Janome DC2012 Decor Computerized Sewing Machine is a perfect choice. It is a completely computerized sewing machine that gives you 50 various stitch patterns which include 3 buttonhole designs. You won’t experience any jams because it uses automatic tension and foot pressure. The easy-to-use navigation button can let you choose your desired stitch pattern quickly. With just a touch of a button, you can set the width and length of your stitch.
- The Superior Feed System offers you high-quality stitching.
- It has a one-hand needle threader and a speed control slider to make your sewing more convenient.
- The backlit on the LED screen can make you accomplish your task quickly.
- There are 15 needle positions to give you the best results.
11. Brother CS5055PRW Electric Sewing Machine
Brother CS5055PRW Electric Sewing Machine is ideal for beginners. Whether you are a pro or a novice in the fashion industry, this machine can easily get you started. It is the best machine for all your decor needs including buttonholes, zipper styles, and stitch designs. Stitch patterns are shown on the front for easy usage. For each stitch that you choose, you will be taught which foot to use.
- It features automatic threading system and free-motion stitching.
- There are 50 stitch patterns that you can choose including quilting stitch.
- With just a touch of a button, you can quickly select the stitch that you want.
- The length and width of the stitch can also be seen on the LCD.
How to Thread a Sewing Machine
Before getting your sewing projects done, you must learn how to thread your machine. Threading a machine may look complicated but it’s actually simpler to do. After several practices, you can quickly memorize the steps and know how to do it next time!
Filling the bobbin. If you already have a completely filled bobbin then you can skip this.
- Step One. First, you’ll have to put the thread on the spool pin.
- Step Two. Draw out the thread and run it through the bobbin thread guide.
- Step Three. Put your bobbin on the bobbin winder.
- Step Four. Insert the thread in the hole of the bobbin.
- Step Five. Push the bobbin against the stopper.
- Step Six. Using the foot pedal, start winding the bobbin.
- Step Seven. The machine will automatically stop once the bobbin is completely full.
Thread the machine. It is best to turn off the machine before you start threading.
- Step One: Run the thread around the upper thread guide.
- Step Two: Place it around the U-shaped guide.
- Step Three: Insert the thread around the take-up lever.
- Step Four: Bring it down until it reaches the needle area.
- Step Five: Insert the thread into the remaining one or two thread guides then into the needle.
Insert the bobbin.
- Step One: Remove the cover plate.
- Step Two: Put the bobbin inside the case, make sure that the thread is running counter-clockwise.
- Step Three. Pull the thread through the first notch then into the second notch.
Draw up the thread from the bobbin.
- Step One: Turn the handwheel to lower down the needle. This will raise up the thread from the bobbin.
- Step Two: Pull the bobbin thread gently.
- Step Three: Pull the two threads together and start sewing!
Here’s how to do it quickly:
Sewing is a fun and exciting hobby for everyone. Whether you are planning to make quilts for your family or create your own line of clothing, it is best to invest in the right sewing machine. It is the first step towards discovering the art of sewing. Once you can become an expert, you can do your own DIY room decors. Truly, the invention of sewing machines has created a great impact in our lives.