Grandparents love to spoil their grandkids. Who else will receive all the love but those cute grand-kiddos? Birthdays are the best times to shower those little ones with affection. Beyond the usual happy birthday granddaughter greetings, we listed 10 gift and celebration ideas to give the young princess a birthday she will remember.
The Bond between Grandparent and Grandchild
In the United States, it's normal to see kids growing up close (literally and figuratively) with their grandparents. In the American culture and tradition, the "extended family" revolves around grandma and grandpa. It is not unusual to see big gatherings celebrating a grandparent's birthday or wedding anniversary. The grandparents relationship with their kids continue even when they have a family of their own.
Grandparents Are Loving Caregivers
There are many reasons why many kids are close with their grandparents. One is grandparents are naturally loving and caring. Because their own kids have already grown up, they turn their attention to the grandkids.
After all, they have the time and all the love in the world; it's not like they have other things to do now that they have fulfilled their obligations to their own kids. Some grandparents are very hands-on when it comes to their grandkids.
They are the good cops to the parents "bad cop" strict parenting, so to speak. They offer warm hugs when the parents give the kids the cold shoulder.
Grandparents Are Second Parents
Sometimes due to circumstances beyond anyone's control, the kids are forced to live away from their parents. It can be due to parents working long hours or staying overseas, or (hopefully not), the parents are divorced. When any of this happens, the grandparents may scoop in and provide the kids with everything they need: basic necessities, emotional support, social dependence and (grand) parental guidance.
As as a result, these kids are more attached to their grandparents. "Happy birthday granddaughter" is a normal greeting in this kind of household.
Grandparents Interact Differently
Let's call it a "generation gap goodness." The age gap between grandparents and their grandkids (and maybe great-grandkids) provide a very colorful social dynamic between people from different generations. These interactions are mutually beneficial.
The grandparents learn to communicate with their grandkids using the language of the youth today. They also don't lose touch with the changing times. On the other hand, the kids are exposed to the wisdom and experiences of their grandparents.
Happy Birthday, Granddaughter! Gift Ideas
Best for Babies: Toy Rattle and Sensory Teether
- This mesmerizing maze of safe, soft, continuous tubes is a perfect baby teething toy
- Infant toy promotes clutching and two-handed play; middle cube contains a pleasing rattle sound
- Multiple newborn toy award winner, including the Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Blue Chip Award
- Safe, teethable plastic loops are BPA free
- Baby teether suitable for ages 0-24 months; Do not boil or steam clean; Hand wash only
Now we go to some ideas to give to the grandkids. For this article, we will focus on the granddaughters ages 1 to 15 (babies to teenagers). Give these to make "happy birthday, granddaughter" a memorable event.
For Toddler Engineers: 80-piece Mega Bloks Building Set
- 80 classic-colored building blocks, including special shapes
- Perfect for little hands
- Hands-on play for early childhood development
- Storage bag for easy cleanup
- Combine with other Mega Bloks preschool toys and build them up!
When your grandkids turn two, give her something to make her brain gears whirl, like this classic building blocks set. This toy may one day produce an artist or engineer in the family. It will develop her creativity, eye-hand coordination, logic, abstract analysis and sense of fun!
This set contains 80 child-safe plastic pieces in various shapes and colors. The ergonomic oversized prongs make it easier for those little paws to grab and stack together. They also come apart easily without breaking---so no worries for your overenthusiastic builders. The material is non-toxic and big enough to prevent accidental choking.
Young Student's Choice: Interactive Baby Monkey
- MSRP: $14.99
- Zoe is my name, and I love to grab onto things... especially your fingers!
- Fingerlings respond to sound, motion, and touch with blinking eyes, head turns, and silly monkey babble.
- Blow them kisses and they will kiss you back!
- Hang them upside-down by the tail and watch them monkey around!
Fingerlings are the latest craze among school-age kids. They are finger-sized cuties that work like interactive pets. The one we have for you is this blue baby monkey called Zoe. It has soft, smooth fur and moveable limbs. It is 100% child-safe---so no worries about choking hazards. Your granddaughter will definitely be happy if you gave her one of these furry, finger-sized cuties.
Tweeners' Top Toy: Sphero 2.0 Robot Ball
- App controlled robot ball traveling up to 7 ft per second with a high impact polycarbonate shell
- SMART Bluetooth connection with a range of 100 ft
- 2 ramps included so you can build obstacle courses
- Includes inductive charging base providing over an hour of full throttle fun
- Over 30 free apps can be downloaded to upgrade your play from iTunes App Store or Google Play. Item can only be used with Apple or Android products
When your princess turns 7 or 10, her interests becomes more complex. She's no longer wowed by simple things, but she's still looking for something to amaze her, like Sphero 2.0, a cute robot ball that she can control with an app! She can play games with the ball by driving it around the house.
Or she can play with it using augmented-reality apps, which makes it cooler! This toy has moving parts but is made of tough materials that can resist bumps and crashes. A bit on the expensive side.
Teaching Them Tech: Fire 7 Kids Edition
- Up to $129 in savings on Fire 7 tablet, 1 year of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited, and a Kid-Proof Case, versus items purchased separately ? plus a 2-year worry-free guarantee
- Not a toy, a full-featured Fire 7 tablet with a 7" IPS display, 16 GB internal storage, and up to 8 hours of mixed-use battery life. Add a microSD card for up to 256 GB of expandable storage.
- The included 1 year of FreeTime Unlimited gives your kids access to over 20,000 popular apps and games, videos, books, Audible books, and educational content from PBS Kids, Nickelodeon, Disney, and more. Your subscription will then automatically renew every month starting at just $2.99 per month plus applicable tax. You may cancel at any time by visiting the Amazon Parent Dashboard or contacting Customer Service.
- 2-year worry-free guarantee: If it breaks, return it and we'll replace it for free.
- Introducing Spanish language content in FreeTime Unlimited ? kids can now enjoy over 1,000 books, movies, and apps in Spanish that include titles and characters like Sesamo, Dora, Diego, Frozen, and more.
Some kids prefer to sit down and fiddle with their gadgets (we know, millennials). So if your granddaughter is one of them, this for-kids version of the Amazon Fire tablet will get her techie vibrations going. This Fire 7 works like a regular tablet but with added child-safe features, like tough rubber case and big grips to survive nasty falls and bumps.
This tablet has a 7-inch display with 16 gigs of storage and Fire OS installed onboard. Parental controls are activated so your kids can browse safely online. This tablet is capable of running kiddie apps, games and books. Best of all, this package comes with one year of FreeTime Unlimited, so your kids can access thousands of popular content online.
For Teenage Princesses: Golden Girl's Journal
Happy birthday, granddaughter, you are now 15! Give your young lady something to write her youthful feelings in---a journal from Kate Spade. She can use it as a diary or a journal for her ideas. It can even be an organizer to manage her busy teenage life.
This notebook comes wrapped in an elegant blue cover with gold paper edges. A Jane Austen quote is included inside (in case she needs a quick dose of girly inspiration).
10 Happy Birthday Granddaughter Wishes
Here are 10 simple but inspirational and loving happy birthday granddaughter wishes for your young princesses.
1. For the Hyperactive One
To My Little Ball of Energy,
You are quite a handful for such a small girl, but chasing you around keeps me fit and active!
Here's wishing you a very happy birthday granddaughter.
2. For the Smart One
I know one day you will be bright and famous - that's why I am proud to call you my
granddaughter. Happy birthday, sweetie! May you have a blast.
3. For the Funny One
Dear Sweetie Pie,
Thank you for making me laugh every day. Oh, you're such a sweetheart.
Keep on making people smile. Happy birthday, granddaughter!
Smiles and kisses,
4. For the Sweet One
You are like honey: very sweet and good for everyone.
Every day you make me feel loved, but today you're getting a gift!
Happy birthday, and may you have a love-filled day.
5. For the Pretty One
You are the second best most beautiful girl on the planet! (I am the first, of course.)
But for your birthday, I will let you take the crown.
Happy birthday. Stay beautiful!
6. For the soon-to-be-student
I heard you're going to school? Good luck!
Remember, I am always here for you.
Happy birthday, honey!
You have a gift. Get it from me today.
8. For the New Bride
When you got married, I knew your hubby found the best girl in the world.
Through the years, I've felt your love, and I am happy you will share it with someone forever.
Happy birthday, and stay happily in love!
9. For the Expecting One
Hey there, Big Belly Preggy!
What to expect when you're expecting? Scary kids!
Kidding aside, congratulations! I know you'll be a great mom.
Happy birthday granddaughter and may you have many more to come (birthdays, not babies).
Love love love,
10. For the Favorite One
Don't tell this to anyone, but you are my second favorite grandkid.
(Everyone's the first XO)
Happy birthday! Today you get a gift.
There you have it, a list of great ideas for your granddaughter. Now you can make "happy birthday granddaughter" very happy indeed